jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Healthy Joints for Life: An Orthopedic Surgeon's Proven Plan to Reduce Pain and Inflammation, Avoid Surgery and Get Moving Again - Richard Diana
Book Info

Paperback, 352 pages

Expected publication: January 28th 2014 by Harlequin (first published October 1st 2013)

ISBN 0373892705 (ISBN13: 9780373892709)

edition language English

other editions None found

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

AMAZON
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

No surgery. No medication. No drastic measures. Just healthy joints for life!

In this groundbreaking book, leading orthopedic surgeon and former NFL player Richard Diana, M.D., applies his unique experience and training to tackle join pain. Based on cutting-edge research that has clarified the crucial role of a molecule known as NFkB in regulating inflammation, Dr. Diana's proven eight-week program teaches you to harness the power of this research to reduce inflammation, relieve pain and rejuvenate your joints.

THIS SCIENTIFICALLY-BACKED PROGRAM INCLUDES:

• Which delicious foods reduce inflammation

• Simple exercises tailored to your ability

• The right supplements to help increase your mobility

My Thoughts

As a person who is feeling the daily effects of inflammation pain this book seemed like just the thing I needed to read to help me in my quest to relieve one of the pitfalls a person living with Multiple Sclerosis battles. I soon found that if followed exactly my entire kitchen would have to be emptied of every processed food stuff that my family and myself consume. Needless to say some of those items will never leave my pantry, refrigerator or freezer shelves but the good part is that with the breakdown of what items are helpful to combat inflammations effects some things can be done away with over time rather than all at once!

Dr. Diana has penned what could be for many of us a wonderful life changing step into taking control of one’s pain from inflamed joints. I feel that although the science in this book far outweighs the common man’s vernacular, if you take it as a whole, there is no reason why with time and dedication to the outlined program using it to change to a healthier lifestyle the program would be of great benefit.

My downfall was the fact that rather than a paperback hard copy this was a digital ARC which, in my own opinion, does not lend itself well to making a good guide for anyone to follow. The information contained within seems to be sound, pretty basic and straight forward to follow but again without the ease of flipping “real pages” it for me would be a waste of space on my Kindle and something that unless I actually bought the hard copy paperback book version to refer back to easily would probably never be utilized.

The facts are laid out in a manner that while a bit dry does help to create an understanding of the why, the what and the how inflammation occurs. More importantly the points made by including actual examples reinforce just how important it is to start taking seriously how debilitating inflammation can be and in most patients lives already is!

While the advice and guidelines that the author has formulated do not involve a degree to implement them this is a time intensive and, perhaps for some, maybe even a very expensive change to make. It all boils down to whether we are willing to put our health first so that we have better quality of life once those inevitable changes brought about by age start to catch up with us in our later years.

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]