jackiebcentraltexas

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things - Ann Aguirre Book Info
ebook, 336 pages
Expected publication: April 7th 2015 by Feiwel & Friends
ISBN 1250078105 (ISBN13: 9781250078100)
other editions (2)
Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links
Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Sage Czinski is trying really hard to be perfect. If she manages it, people won't peer beyond the surface, or ask hard questions about her past. She's learned to substitute causes for relationships, and it's working just fine. . . until Shane Cavendish strolls into her math class. He's a little antisocial, a lot beautiful, and everything she never knew she always wanted.

Shane Cavendish just wants to be left alone to play guitar and work on his music. He's got heartbreak and loneliness in his rearview mirror, and this new school represents his last chance. He doesn't expect to be happy; he only wants to graduate and move on. He never counted on a girl like Sage.

But love doesn't mend all broken things, and sometimes life has to fall apart before it can be put back together again. . . .

My Thoughts

Others have talked about how sweet they have found this story to be, it is but it is also so much more and done in such a way you cannot help but devour pages to learn more. At a focal point where getting close to secrets from Sage's past start coming to light, my anxiety for her was off the charts and my curiosity was killing me too.

I thought that Sage and Shane’s traumatic pasts were handled well, the information was not overwhelming nor were their respective mistakes dragged on and on as part of the story line but rather disclosed and than we moved on.

The awful angst that both characters felt about sharing their pasts with each other was clearly dealt with as well, the fact that they could find it in their hearts to open up to each other and start finally healing was a wonderful aspect of this story that is actually something I expect in YA but sometimes do not find fully realized for the main characters.

The Queen of Bright and Shiny Things is a unique addition to YA, it combines many traits that make it a part of the genre but it also incorporates unusual aspects that make it stand out from the pack for me.

One such aspect is the lack of a love triangle and even better the lack of an abrupt cliffhanger ending, both these things help to make this a much more pleasurable read than expected.

Be still my heart what a beautiful ending for two endearing young people. I am sorry to be finished but grateful to have enjoyed this one from start to finish!

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]