jackiebcentraltexas

Penumbra: The Spook Squad 3

Penumbra: The Spook Squad 3 - Keri Arthur
Book Info

Kindle Edition, 352 pages

Expected publication: October 28th 2014 by Dell (first published November 16th 2005)

original title Penumbra (Spook Squad, #3)

ASIN B00K4C4H3A

AMAZON
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

TWIN KILLING

Agent Sam Ryan wants out of the Special Investigations Unit. She’s sick of the attitude from her partner, Gabriel Stern. She’s sick of the paperwork. Most of all, she’s sick of feeling lonely. But her boss isn’t about to let her go that easily. He gives Sam a choice: either stay stuck in her office or guard a clone replacement of Dan Wetherton, a government minister. Sam reluctantly chooses the latter—even though she suspects she’s being used as bait to draw out the SIU’s elusive nemesis.

Gabriel would like nothing better than to be on his own, without a partner to hold him back. Then he learns that Sam has been assigned to protect Wetherton—or whatever it is that’s replaced him. Wetherton’s clone could have come from only one place: Hopeworth, the military base that contains the secrets of Sam’s past. Determined to protect her, Gabriel is drawn into a fight against unspeakable evil. And all too soon, Sam and Gabriel discover that the connection between them is far more powerful than anyone could ever have imagined.

My Thoughts

Like all good puzzles you have to have every piece in place for it to be complete, although it seems like we were going to be given all the correct pieces somehow that did not happen and like other readers before me feel there is more to make this a complete ending to the series. Although that is the case there is no doubt in my mind that it was still worth reading as it was enjoyable to finally have certain questions answered that have plagued Sam since Spook Squad series started.

Spook Squad #3 served up the same easy read that the previous 2 books gave us, for me the action was a great enticement to keep turning pages as had to see what happened next, the different twists and turns did at times leave one feeling out of the loop but when the end result was revealed you felt the confusion lessen and become understanding, the chemistry that Gabriel and Sam keep trying to deny was as apparent as ever and all in all this was a pretty interesting addition to the series.

Yes I could tell this did not finish the series, however it did finish the biggest part of the story arc with Sam Ryan herself in a satisfying manner for me so that is better than the alternative.

Would have been nice though if we could have had at least one more book to complete the loose ends that leave one hanging in the wind when you have more questions than answers, that however is the breaks and in the scheme of things the three books were worth investing my time to read as Keri Arthur always entertains me no matter what work of hers I choose.

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]