jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Night Blade

Night Blade - J.C. Daniels BOOK SYNOPSISKit Colbana is always biting off more than she can chew. She has a knack for finding trouble. This time, though, trouble finds her. Someone from her past drops a case into her lap that she just can’t refuse…literally.People on the Council are dying left and right and she’s been requested to investigate the deaths. The number one suspect? Her lover, Damon. If she doesn’t clear his name, he gets a death sentence. Even if she succeeds? They still might try to execute him. Oh, and she’s not allowed to tell him about the case, either.The stakes are high this time around, higher than they’ve ever been. Kit may be forced to pay the ultimate price to save her lover’s life…a price that could destroy her and everything she loves.My ThoughtsAm going to start out by saying that as a long time fan of author Shiloh Walker when the information was released that she was going to be writing under a new pen name with a new Urban Fantasy series I was very excited. J.C. Daniels as an alter ego has proven with only two books Blade Song-Colbana Files #1 and Night Blade-Colbana Files #2 that she has captured the edgy, gritty realism in the Urban Fantasy genre but also that she is not afraid to make her characters infallible which takes more guts than making them over the top unstoppable and pretty much unable to be killed no matter what they face. The bar is set high for me with favorite female leading characters, my fab five include Cin Craven, Cat Crawfield, Kate Daniels, Jill Kismet and Mercy Thompson. Kit Colbana has now joined these other strong fierce women, her reflection casts it's shadow a long way so she is going to be a hard act to follow when it comes to a heroine who is both likable and believable. When only 1/3 through I was "anticipating" the parts that would break me into tiny bits after reading others reviews about how emotionally brutal certain parts of the story would become! So many times in the story I was getting more and more anxious for Kit, was so worried about the survival of both she and Damon but also enjoying the heck out of the book as I read on and more secrets were revealed as to what was happening and why. Reading this book at times was almost as bad as watching a soap opera when you become attached to the main characters and they suffer blow after emotional blow! (I know it is only a book but dang it all these are characters who have crawled into my heart as well as my head and their pain is shared just like it was my own.)If you are looking for something to read that will thrill you, excite you, something that will make you so uneasy that you feel a sense of betrayal when you realize that what you were worried would happen is nowhere near as bad as what actually does and most of all a book that will take you through all the highs and lows that your emotions can stand leaving you feeling wrung out and stunned to still be in one piece yourself after the adrenaline surge just following along with the trauma's Kit endures during the final chapters of this book.There are still questions to be answered, still scores to settle and when the next book releases in 2014 it will be interesting to see just how Kit manages to cope and exactly what the future holds for her and Damon. I am really looking forward to also seeing what happens with Doyle in the next book as well since his character proved to be pivotal in Night Blade.Believe it or not, even though my heart broke for Kit, did not cry when finished instead I actually cheered inside because Kit was still standing at the end, albeit shakily but still alive and functioning. The next book in the series will be something that "dreams are made of" and cannot wait to sink into it next year as this book skyrocketed the series into being one that fans of UF with grit can enjoy for years to come!Best 2nd book in a series I have read by any author in years![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]