jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Six Years

Six Years - Harlan Coben BOOK SYNOPSISHarlan Coben, the master of domestic suspense, returns with a standalone thriller—in the vein of #1 bestsellers Hold Tight, Caught, and Stay Close—that explores the depth and passion of a lost love . . . and the secrets and lies at its heart.Six years have passed since Jake Sanders watched Natalie, the love of his life, marry another man. Six years of hiding a broken heart by throwing himself into his career as a college professor. Six years of keeping his promise to leave Natalie alone, and six years of tortured dreams of her life with her new husband, Todd.But six years haven’t come close to extinguishing his feelings, and when Jake comes across Todd’s obituary, he can’t keep himself away from the funeral. There he gets the glimpse of Todd’s wife he’s hoping for . . . but she is not Natalie. Whoever the mourning widow is, she’s been married to Todd for more than a decade, and with that fact everything Jake thought he knew about the best time of his life—a time he has never gotten over—is turned completely inside out.As Jake searches for the truth, his picture-perfect memories of Natalie begin to unravel. Mutual friends of the couple either can’t be found or don’t remember Jake. No one has seen Natalie in years. Jake’s search for the woman who broke his heart—and who lied to him—soon puts his very life at risk as it dawns on him that the man he has become may be based on carefully constructed fiction.Harlan Coben once again delivers a shocking page-turner that deftly explores the power of past love and the secrets and lies that such love can hide.My ThoughtsSix years may not seem to be a long time to some people but for Jake Sanders six years is a lifetime without the woman he loves, when he unexpectedly comes across the obituary of the man that Natalie married instead of him Jake takes it as a reason to break the promise to stay away made those long years ago. In doing so he then makes a discovery that starts him on a quest to find Natalie, a quest that has Jake facing some hard questions whose answers he is not really prepared to face!Filled with secrets, lies, betrayals and murder this thriller is one that will just about make your heart stop as you experience right along with Jake every step he takes to find the truth even as that truth almost costs him his life.Having read and enjoyed the work of author Harlan Coben for years I have come to expect to be amazed at his intricate plot twists that lead the reader in one direction with the expectation that things are going to work out a certain way, only to quickly find out that those expectations were way off base as things work out totally different than what you would have them to!This makes the reader keep on their toes as you never know what is going to happen next, once all the characters are introduced and the story takes off that is when the real fun begins. In the case of Jake Sanders his awakening to the fact that for six years he has been laboring under false assumptions as to what is the truth makes for a very eye opening reading experience, especially once all the secrets that Jake uncovers lead him to the truth that may or may not actually be more than he bargained for!Like every other book that I have enjoyed by the author once again the twists and turns that he builds for the story slowly and delicately on the way to the finish line just have me in awe of just how he manages to pull it all together for his reader at the end. No other mystery suspense thriller author even comes close for me to this ones ability to set up such interesting and unpredictable plot lines over and over![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]