jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Paradigm - Helen Stringer Book InfoPaperback, 396 pagesPublished July 13th 2013 by Mediadrome Pressoriginal title ParadigmISBN 1482346540 (ISBN13: 9781482346541)edition language Englishother editions None foundSource:Netgalley EARCBook Buy LinksAMAZONB&NBOOK SYNOPSIS"If I ask you to do something, will you do it?" "Maybe." "Maybe?" "Well, I don't know what it is yet. But I'm guessing that death is the alternative, so I'm prepared to be reasonable." Sam Cooper is seventeen. He drives a cherry red 1968 GTO that he won on a bet, and spends his days exploring the open roads of the great American West. He should be living the teenage dream, but post-collapse America is a hard place to survive. The United States is long dead, basic resources are getting scarcer, and no one on Earth has seen the stars since before he was born. Vast tracts of the country are now empty as people huddle together for safety. In all this chaos, Sam has survived on his wits and occasional luck. But a visit to the walled and prosperous Century City results in a split-second decision that changes everything. Soon Sam is on the run from the ruthless Carolyn Bast, and by something much more dangerous: MUTHA-a powerful artificial entity that has been watching and waiting for Sam's return from the barren outlands. Sam unknowingly carries the key to something MUTHA can't live without, something so dangerous that others are willing to kill him, or worse, to ensure that the great plex never possesses it. Sam can't stay one step ahead of them forever. His only hope is to unravel the secrets of his peculiar past and awaken the incredible power that sleeps within-because even in his beloved GTO, without the truth, Sam will never succeed in outracing the nightmare to come.My ThoughtsWho can resist a road trip in a futuristic environment taken for the most part in a cherry red 1968 GTO? Not me! Thank you to goodreads member and avid fellow reader Denise Zaky for cluing me in that this was an available to read on Netgalley because I very much enjoyed meeting Sam, Alma, Nathan, Vincent and the rest of the characters who inhabited "post-collapse America" as envisioned by author Helen Stringer.For me this story combines the world inhabited to a degree by Mad Max, the scavenging, the lack of proper amenities, the power hungry who think that this new United States is theirs for the taking and it also combines the sci-fi technologically advanced world of The Terminator franchise in the sentient AI MUTHA. Both of these story lines center on one main male character being the hero that everyone gravitates to and whose ability to overcome overwhelming odds time and again is in some part due to skill but also due to help at critical times. Sam Cooper is a bit different it is true, his abilities are not those of your average human thanks to an experiment before he was born, but he is no less compelling of a character than that of Max or the younger John Connor.The world gave me shivers, even though it came across as a bit more civilized in some areas in others Sam really had to watch his back. The action was fairly quickly paced, the secrets revealed about Sam's origins were telegraphed well ahead of when they were let out but still hit hard when the reader was privy to his reactions, the characters all "fit" their individual roles quite well as I bonded emotionally fairly quickly with Sam and Alma and I grew to detest and abhor just as quickly the character of Carolyn Bast.This is so much more than a teenage boy wandering around in his car, it is a story with heart and hope and courage that lifts you up as you become more and more involved with what is happening. I could have happily stuck around with Sam a lot longer but unfortunately like everything good the book came to an end![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]