jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Fun & Games - David Michael Slater Book InfoProduct DetailsPaperback: 226 pagesPublisher: Library Tales Publishing, Incorporated (May 6, 2013)Language: EnglishISBN-10: 0615774156ISBN-13: 978-0615774152Source:Ebook ARC copy from author in exchange for honest reviewBook Buy Links AMAZONB&NBOOK SYNOPSISThe 1980’s: it’s the time of Dungeons & Dragons, banana clips, and Atari. Jonathan Schwartz is growing up in a family like no other. His sisters, Nadia, the dark genius, and Olivia, the gorgeous tease and temptress, manipulate Jon and his friends for their own entertainment. And his Holocaust survivor grandparents? Their coping techniques are beyond embarrassing. A disastrous visit to Jon’s class by his grandmother unhinges his famous father, setting off a chain of events that threatens to send the dysfunctional Schwartz clan up in flames once and for all. Fun & Games is a heartbreaking and hilarious story of faith, family secrets, betrayal, and loss—but it’s also a tale of friendship, love, and side-splitting shenanigans.My ThoughtsNever let it be said that a title does not capture the essence of a book, there is quite a bit of "fun" in this story and a whole lot of "games" but in both cases the meaning of the words are different than their actual use by the author. We start out with Jon and his 9th grade friends, Cory, Jake and Milo at the Schwartz home having a normal get together for their group. Dungeons and Dragons may be the game of choice but the boys real motivation this particular night seems to be centered upon a chart that they have created called "The Purity Test", a list of 100 questions that determined ones "Purity Rating". The further we get into the story however it's simple beginnings start to delve into darker areas that provide a tone far different than simple "Fun & Games".The day to day accounting of the characters lives takes us through harrowing familial drama, devastating personal loss of loved ones, the teens hijinks during their 4 years of High School followed by the pitfalls the boys are faced with when they go away to college all the while allowing the reader ample time to adjust to the changes occurring as Jon and his friends learn that growing up is not exactly what they imagined it would be.The trauma at the end is offset by a final revelation that finally allows Jon to start to come to terms with the past and look forward to a brighter future. This story will make you sad in places, make you smile and laugh in others and probably at inappropriate places too, it will tug at your heartstrings as you empathize with the characters when remembering similar times in your own life and most of all it will remind us that no matter what you think there is always someone whose family is just a little wackier than your own!Growing up in the 80's never played D&D but do remember some of my peers doing so, luckily also did not have quite such a kooky family nor were my eclectic friends as zany as Jon's but this book did bring back goofy memories just like some of the ones portrayed in the story.[EARC copy from author in exchange for honest review]