jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Keeper of the Moon - Harley Jane Kozak BOOK SYNOPSISIn their new Keeper roles, these extraordinary women must balance the fate of the world with their desires... Lust. Elven Keeper Sailor Gryffald's body quivers with it, but is it a symptom of the deadly Scarlet Pathogen coursing through her bloodstream or the proximity of shifter Keeper Declan Wainwright? Sailor and Declan have had an uneasy relationship ever since they met, and now things are about to get a lot more complicated. A killer is stalking Los Angeles, intentionally infecting Elven with the deadly virus, and now Sailor and Declan must work to keep the supernatural peace while bringing the murderer to justice. But, in doing so, these powerful denizens of the Otherworld find themselves straddling a fine line between lust...and love.My ThoughtsSailor Gryffald is unsure of her role as she has not prepared to take on the responsibility of Keeper for the Elven since her father seemed to have things well in hand and at his age was apparently not going to be retiring from the job anytime soon. Sailor's shock and dismay when she was suddenly thrust into taking on the mantle of Keeper, with all that it entailed, only served to heighten her naive outlook that things would remain the same without too much effort on her part.Although Sailor Gryffald is new to her role as Keeper, she finds herself drawn into an investigation which pits her against a villain whose only agenda is to cause havoc amongst the Elven citizens of LA and as many deaths as possible before being stopped.This tale is the next in the series focused on LA and it highlights what I personally think is the biggest strength of all the stories in the series and that is the fact that it's characters are not perfect, they are not all knowing, they are not all powerful and even though yes they do have certain advantages as part of the supernatural community that does not make their jobs or their lives a cakewalk.Sailor has it especially hard because as a young actress her days of being carefree and following her whims are now over as she is roughly awakened when the reality of her situation becomes apparent as her own life is imperiled. In the race to solve the mystery of whom the killer is and to bring him or her to justice there is also a race against time to save Sailor from a horrific death that ensures she and Declan must work together.The tension these two characters bring to the pages is sizzling, their respective abilities as keepers are awe inspiring and the way that Sailor manages to learn to embrace her duties as Keeper had me finally respecting her more than did at first.There is nothing spectacularly clever going on but as a murder mystery/paranormal romance it has some fairly decent action scenes, it has interesting characters that the reader can enjoy watching interact with each other, it has an easy pace with good flow to the plot line that allows you to keep up with what happens in the moment and the villain is one that you may figure out sooner than Sailor and Declan but even if you do that will in no way curtail the audacity with which the person operates in plain view!As a lover of all things supernatural this series has so far been perfectly balanced and easily enjoyed and look forward to the next book which finally lets us get to know Barrie better in her role as Keeper of the Shifters. Very tantalizing tale![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]