jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

School Spirits (School Spirits, #1) - Rachel Hawkins BOOK SYNOPSISFifteen-year-old Izzy Brannick was trained to fight monsters. For centuries, her family has hunted magical creatures. But when Izzy’s older sister vanishes without a trace while on a job, Izzy's mom decides they need to take a break.Izzy and her mom move to a new town, but they soon discover it’s not as normal as it appears. A series of hauntings has been plaguing the local high school, and Izzy is determined to prove her worth and investigate. But assuming the guise of an average teenager is easier said than done. For a tough girl who's always been on her own, it’s strange to suddenly make friends and maybe even have a crush.Can Izzy trust her new friends to help find the secret behind the hauntings before more people get hurt? Rachel Hawkins' delightful spin-off brings the same wit and charm as the New York Times best-selling Hex Hall series. Get ready for more magic, mystery and romance!My ThoughtsThere are books that intrigue, that entice, that seduce and just plain beg to be read. School Spirits happens to be one of those books for me!When read the book synopsis Izzy reminded me of author Jana Oliver's character Riley Blackthorne in her Demon Trappers series as Riley also is following in the family business as is Izzy. The passion for reading YA in the past year that has developed with all the authors that have come to the forefront of the genre means that there are a lot of high school characters who possess some kind of talent or training for disposal of supernatural entities and when I find one that hits all the right notes like this one did my joy knows no bounds.School Spirits by author GR is the first book that have read that she penned as never picked up her Hex Hall books and probably will do so in the future at some point because if they are anywhere near as easy to read and as fantastic as this book than I have missed out!Izzy is a typical teenage girl, except she is not as she is a hunter of monsters and at sixteen has been training from a very young age to become the best at her craft that she can. A year prior her older sister Finley disappears when she and Izzy are on a routine job together and she has not been heard from since so now it is just Izzy and her Mom.The story picks up and really gets clipping along when Izzy and her Mom end up in Ideal Mississippi where Izzy ends up enrolled in the local Mary Evans High as a sophomore. First time attending school, first time being around her peers, first time having to deal with the decisions and problems faced by a teenage girl and Izzy through trial and error soon finds herself with friends and a life that she did not imagine she would ever be privy too.The ghost that Izzy has targeted to vanquish turns out to be much more formidable than she and her Mom expected, the trials and tribulations that this poses for Izzy as well as the shocking discovery be her of the person responsible for summoning the vengeful spirit nearly breaks your heart but as the reader progresses into the story their respect for the courage of a Brannick and the sheer determination Izzy shows to help her new found friends reflects well upon her character.This is a fast and smoothly paced reading experience that will leave you glad that High School was never as dramatic as it appears to be at Mary Evans, it certainly was not as dangerous!After the ending and all the dust settled this first book has totally enthralled me into the world and into the minds of the characters that the author has given us, I want more and look forward to the next book in the series when it releases.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]