jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Bare It All - Lori Foster BOOK SYNOPSIS"A cop's craving to know more about the woman next door could prove fatal in the steamy new novel from New York Times bestselling author Lori Foster"As the person responsible for taking down a brutal human trafficker, Alice Appleton fears retaliation at every turn. No one knows about her past, which is exactly how she prefers it...until the sexy cop next door comes knocking.Detective Reese Bareden thinks he knows what makes women tick, but his ever-elusive neighbor keeps him guessing like no other. Is his goal to unmask Alice's secrets? Or protect her from a dangerous new threat? One thing is certain: their chemistry is a time bomb waiting to explode. And with no one to trust but each other, Reese and Alice are soon drawn into a deadly maze of corruption, intrigue and desire-and into the line of fire..My ThoughtsBeing this is second in a series that is obviously a spin-off of another series there is a lot of backstory that I am unaware of, in my opinion that means nothing as this read well as a stand alone. While I am sure that if I had already read the 6 books that connected to each other prior to this one, where I would have been introduced to some of the secondary characters and more world building that took place, did not feel the lack in the least when enjoying this book and the engrossing story that was within it's pages.Alice Appleton is a woman whose past has taught her to be wary and aware at all times of those around her. Her uncanny ability to pinpoint other people's emotions and use their body language to help understand how they are feeling proves to be invaluable to both Alice and Reese as it helps keep Alice alive.Reese Bareden is the consummate blend of smart, sexy, and totally dedicated to his fellow man main leading male character who has just the right amount of self deprecating humor to top off his appealing package that gives the reader an emotional connection to him right off the bat.The two are good together, they balance each other out without being too mushy or over the top as sometimes make believe couples can be in romantic suspense. Add them together with the secondary characters and this story works on many levels to entertain and to make you want to know what is going to happen to them next.As a lover of romantic suspense who enjoys finding strong male and female characters with the ability to overcome a troubled past that allows them to make a difference in helping others there is a lot to be said for the expertise shown by author Lori Foster in the manner with which she creates and breathes life into these very characters. There is not one of her books that I have read that she has not managed to color outside the lines with her characters which helps make them more realistic and enjoyable to get to know by the reader. Her grasp of human nature is what makes her books so easy to read as well as so very easy to connect to the characters that she makes come alive within their pages! Laugh out loud good thanks to the irrepressible Rowdy Yates and thanks to alpha male Reese Bareden sexy as can be read as well.My favorite type of contemporary romantic suspense with just the right amount of humor and drama mixed together.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]