jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Starting Now: A Blossom Street Novel - Debbie Macomber BOOK SYNOPSIS#1 New York Times bestselling author Debbie Macomber returns to Seattle’s beloved Blossom Street in this heartfelt tale of friendship, renewal, and discovering what’s truly important in life.For years Libby Morgan dreamed only of making partner in her competitive, high-pressure law firm. She sacrificed everything for her career—her friends, her marriage, her chance at creating a family. When her boss calls Libby into his office, she assumes it will finally be good news, but nothing can prepare her for the shocking reality: She’s been let go and must rebuild her entire life . . . starting now. With no job prospects in sight, Libby reaches out to old friends and spends her afternoons at A Good Yarn, the local knitting store. There she forms a close bond with Lydia, the sweet-natured shop owner; Lydia’s spirited teenage daughter, Casey; and Casey’s best friend, Ava, a shy yet troubled girl who will shape Libby’s future in surprising and profound ways. As A Good Yarn becomes a second home—and the women a new kind of family—Libby relishes the different person she’s become. She even finds time for romance with a charming and handsome doctor who seems to be her perfect match. But just as everything is coming together, Libby must make a choice that could forever change the life she holds so dear.Warmly told and richly textured, Starting Now is filled with the promise of new beginnings and the unending delights of companionship and love.My ThoughtsLife lessons learned the hard way and a truly inspiring story for all workaholics!From the very beginning of the book Libby was a character whose story begged to be read, she just was so very troubled and in such a bad place that it just broke my heart and yet as the story moved along that feeling of sadness gave way to one of hope that maybe this workaholic woman could find a way to make her life turn around.For those of us who have watched someone we hold dear lose a job that they worked long and hard at with the ultimate goal to rise to the top of their career ladder only to be toppled off due to downsizing by their employers this book will bring back some uncomfortable memories, for those of us who have never faced such a trauma or known anyone who had to go through it the book will still resonate on a deep level as we all have faced a difficult loss in our own lives that changed us just as Libby was changed.The shock of going from rushing to work every day and staying long past quitting time to being unemployed with no particular need to be in a hurry to be anywhere is one that Libby finds to be totally devastating, that is until the day she realizes that she must stop feeling sorry for herself and make some positive changes in her life before she goes completely around the bend. The first step to that is to join a gym so she can work off the weight that has her clothes bursting at the seams after only a few short months of too much junk food and late night television with no daily exercise to offset the empty calories.Libby finds herself looking forward to going to the gym each day but she also finds it to be lonely without a workout partner, she reaches out to an old study buddy from her college days and a fellow attorney Robin Hamlin. Libby and Robin start exercising together and then one day they end up going to buy some yarn for Robin's mother, when she walks into A Good Yarn for the first time in a long time Libby feels a sense of peace and a sense that she has a connection to a place as her mother was an avid knitter prior to her death when Libby was a teenager. Finding herself drawn to the idea of once again knitting herself she starts out by helping the owner and her daughter create caps for the preemies at the local hospital. This simple task becomes something that allows Libby to tap into a creative side of herself that she has almost forgotten, it also one day leads to her finding herself sitting in a rocking chair with the newborns as a volunteer rocker. These two steps to finding a new life lead to more exciting changes for Libby in the pages to come, watching as all these changes unfold is both a joy and a realization that we too need to open ourselves up to what life has to offer before it passes us by.There is so much genuine emotion that wells up as you take the journey with Libby, the sadness that one feels in the beginning is soon replaced with deeper feelings of hopefulness and the sense that everything happens in life for a reason even the bad things. This is as others have said before me not the type of story one can read all the time but it is a story that will leave you smiling at the end just as I was!As a first time reader of the author's work and one who has not read any of the previous books in the series I have no basis for comparison but feel that this story can stand alone as it ties up nicely for Libby even though there are side threads that can be followed up on with other characters I am sure later on in another book or more.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]