jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

When Temptation Burns  - J.K. Beck Book SynopsisHalf human, half daemon, Ryan Doyle is a driving force for justice. As an agent for the Preternatural Enforcement Coalition, he’s investigating murders linked to a Los Angeles fringe group bent on exposing the shadow world to humanity. He is a master of self-control, keeping his deepest hungers hidden beneath a veneer of cool professionalism. Until he crosses paths with sinfully sweet Andy Tarrent, a gutsy reporter who makes him crave all the pleasures he’s denied himself for centuries.Tracking a band of conspiracy theorists eager to spill blood, Andy has uncovered the story of her career. Brooding, mysterious Ryan is an enigma—but their dance of seduction is hotter than any fantasy. As they race to stop mass murder on the streets, Andy knows that Ryan is holding back, keeping secrets. But getting close to Ryan means opening the door to a world that will challenge her deepest beliefs—including what it means to truly surrender to love.My ThoughtsAgent Ryan Doyle is one of my favorite characters in this series and this story cemented that for me. Ryan being a half demon who gets his nourishment from human souls has to keep himself apart more often than not so as to keep from causing harm to any human when he is too weak to keep his "hunger" under control. That and a very painful occurrence years in his past make his life lonely. When in the midst of an investigation his path crosses that of Andy Tarrent, a human female who has no idea that the shadow world even exists, Ryan's need for Andy eclipses everything else. The question is will she accept him fully once she is aware of exactly what he is?Andy Tarrent lost her mother at a young age, her father is a minister and her shoulder to lean on in times of need. Andy is a passionate woman whose search for knowledge to try and understand why someone would choose to embrace an "evil nature" has led her to a secret that could very well cost her her life. In seeking the truth Andy uncovers more than she ever bargained for leaving her embroiled in the middle of a war between humans and shadows that opens her eyes to the difference between true evil and what most humans consider to be evil.The author has taken this series back to the suspense and the dangerous edge that I felt when reading book 1, this book embodies my favorite mix of action, mystery, suspense, romance and solid characters who the reader cannot help but become involved with as each scene in the story unfolds. I especially enjoyed watching how much Ryan Doyle opened up as the book progressed, his past was hinted at in prior books but fans finally have the full reveal that explains his personal code and why his former best friend is nowadays a bitter reminder of what he lost.Action and suspense combined with romance and drama make this 6th book in the series a winner from beginning to end. I was pleased to find that When Temptation Burns gave me back the thrill of reading about the "shadow world" and very much think this is the best book of the series. I look forward to reading more from the author in the future.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]