jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

When Darkness Hungers  - J.K. Beck Book SynopsisFBI agent Alexis Martin knows that vampires exist—because one of them killed her sister. Assigned to investigate a series of bizarre homicides in Los Angeles, Alexis believes the murders are the work of rogue vampires—perhaps even the monster responsible for her sister’s death. Now she finally has a chance for retribution. Even better, Alexis receives unexpected help from a sexy stranger as hungry for rogue blood as she is. Serge is a centuries-old bad boy who stays off the grid—keeping his secrets, his hunger, and his heart safe from exposure. A new breed of vampire that feeds off other shadowers, Serge finds sweet torture in Alexis’s arms. Loving her is a chance to be free from the hiding, the loneliness, the secrecy. But the truth about what he is, and what he’s done, may banish him to the dark confines of his own private hell—and destroy the beginnings of their love.My ThoughtsThere was quite a bit going on in this book, rogue vampire slayings that coincided with the homicides in LA; the mystery of just exactly what vampire had murdered Alexis sister Tori, what exactly Serge had become and what he was still evolving into; the Vampires that made up a special secret unit inside Homeland Security and most of all a hot and heavy romance developing between Alex and Serge that made them both vulnerable to the leader of the rogues. Throughout the book as one mystery is revealed there is still another waiting to be solved. The rogue vampires are a deadly menace that not only Alexis is fighting but Serge also uses them to keep his "darker nature" under control so as not to have to feed on humans whom would end up then dying at his hands once his "inner beast" took command.The way that previous story lines was incorporated was well done, the appearances of Sara and Luke as well as Ryan Doyle helped to fill in the gaps left when the story lagged and fans of this series will enjoy this book but for me it was not a favorite just a fast easy read that whetted my appetite for the next book to come as it will delve more into the PEC and the ongoing battle to keep the "shadow world's inhabitants" from being exposed to humans.Murder, vampires, witches, curses, mysteries, revenge and romance are a good combination for a paranormal read but for me this fifth book in the Shadow Keepers series just did not have the exciting "feel" that I found when reading the first 3 books in the series. Part of the problem for me is the fact that it has been over a year since I started the series and part of the problem is that I never really "connected" with Alexis Martin's character. Serge was pretty fascinating, but only up to a point and then even he could not get me to really stay involved in what was happening. I am looking forward to When Temptation Burns and seeing what happens in the last book of the series to tie up the story arcs.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]