jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Murder Takes Time - Giacomo Giammatteo Book SynopsisA string of brutal murders has bodies piling up in Brooklyn, and Detective Frankie Donovan knows what is going on. Clues left at the crime scenes point to someone from the old neighborhood, and that isn't good.Frankie has taken two oaths in his life - the one he took to uphold the law when he became a cop, and the one he took with his two best friends when they were eight years old and inseparable. Those relationships have forced Frankie to make many tough decisions, but now he faces the toughest one of his life; he has five murders to solve and one of those two friends is responsible. If Frankie lets him go, he breaks the oath he took as a cop and risks losing his job. But if he tries to bring him in, he breaks the oath he kept for twenty-five years - and risks losing his life.In the neighborhood where Frankie Donovan grew up, you never broke an oath.My ThoughtsThe first thing that I would like to talk about is the sheer "physical" weight of the book, it is printed in Trade Paperback but the book is substantially more "heavy" than one expects when it is sitting on a flat surface. The "subject matter" is "heavy" as well. Starting out with an immediate setting of a murder being committed the reader is drawn into the lives of 4 childhood friends, following along you just sit back eagerly waiting to see what happens as things shift back and forth over the course of past and present day happenings.The second thing that jumps to mind is how well crafted this story is, it goes from past to present and back again without ever losing the reader along the way. The childhood scenes are enthralling as the 4 boys Tony, Frankie, Nicky and Paulie will find their way into your hearts and you cannot help but feel a fondness for them as you watch their stories unfold. Seeing these same 4 boys as grownups in the present day scenarios just cements your affection for all of them.The third thing that I really enjoyed was the sense of "family" that came through, the love and care that the character of Mama Rosa Sannullo gave to each of the characters both as children and as young men was such a joy that you could not help but feel her warmth shine from the pages of each scene of the book she appeared in. Her kitchen was a place where no one left hungry but her home was a place where no one felt unloved, for me that really brought home the essence of what a true refuge she created for her son and his friends.I am now and always have been fascinated with relationships that start out in childhood and carry over later on in peoples lives. The friendships that Tony, Paulie, Nicky and Frankie shared were more intense than most because of their poor start in life as none of them came from well-to-do families. The biggest difference between them came later on as the boys grew into young men, Tony and Paulie became part of the Mob while Nicky ended up doing a stretch in jail and Frankie turned his back on the streets and became a police detective.This leads to my second fascination with the story that made me accept a chance to read it for myself, the choices that Frankie has to make between upholding the law and upholding his honor by standing by his friends when things get dicey. There is a fine line drawn between right and wrong, however finding out that life is not really black and white but rather shaded grey is what really makes the final decision on Frankie's part so interesting.As I followed the lives of these characters they became more and more real, even when reading about how the murders were orchestrated the brutality shown by the killer was not my main concern but the reasons behind why the crimes were committed in the first place was what really interested me. Reading the how, the why and the what was truly a lesson in how the human mind works and very well described by the author to the point you forgot that the man who committed the crimes was himself a criminal as there were justifications for some of his actions. It is a story that has to be read for you to understand for yourself why I think so, I do not condone murder for any reason but in the context of this book it has it's place.There are many crime drama writers today that I enjoy but very few of them managed thus far to encapsulate into one tale the compelling ties of family, loyalty, friendship, love, trust, betrayal, honor and romance that fill the pages of this book. Murder Takes Time may be the first book author Giacomo Giammatteo has penned but it will not be the last book of his that I will read that is for sure.Thrilling story, riveting plot, fantastically real characters all combined to make this one of my favorites for 2012 reading experiences![Copy of book from author in exchange for honest review]