jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

'Til The World Ends - Julie Kagawa;Ann Aguirre;Karen Duvall My Thoughts I am waiting on my Mass Market Paperback copy of [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912]-bk 1 of "Blood of Eden" series to be sent to me from The Book Depository so when I saw this anthology that started out with the prequel novella had to read these three dystopian stories and was grateful when Netgalley approved my request to do so! These are my thoughts on each of the three author's contributions following each individual book synopsis. BOOK SYNOPSISDawn of Eden by Julie Kagawa Before The Immortal Rules, there was the Red Lung, a relentless virus determined to take out all in its path. For Kylie, the miracle of her survival is also her burden-as a doctor at one of the clinics for the infected, she is forced to witness endless suffering. What's worse, strange things are happening to the remains of the dead, and by the time she befriends Ben Archer, she's beginning to wonder if a global pandemic is the least of her problems.... My ThoughtsJulie Kagawa does not hold back on the intensity with this introduction as to how "Eden" came to be, she pits her characters against a force that is terrifying in it's very existence and creates a solid beginning as to how the vampires that inhabit her "Blood Of Eden" series came to be. I was sweating every step of the way as Kylie tried her best to save her patients from The Red Lung infection, just as things seemed like they could not get any worse Ben and his injured friend showed up and proved that wrong!This was without doubt a very fast action packed story as it had a lot to cover in just a short amount of reading time but just like everything else that I have read by the author the quantity of words did not lack in quality of plot,pace or charismatic fully developed characters. Especially, given the short amount of time he is in the story, one will never forget the forceful character of Ben's father Samson. You may not like him but you will not forget him either!Because this prequel to the series does not use the characters in [b:The Immortal Rules|10215349|The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1)|Julie Kagawa|http://d.gr-assets.com/books/1323357921s/10215349.jpg|15114912] to indoctrinate readers into the author's world it can actually be read alone after reading the first full length book. I was glad to read it before as it answered some questions for me that may not have been taken into consideration later on. BOOK SYNOPSISThistle & Thorne by Ann Aguirre After a catastrophic spill turns the country into a vast chemical wasteland, those who could afford it retreated to fortresses, self-contained communities run by powerful corporations. But for Mari Thistle, life on the outside-in the Red Zone-is a constant struggle. To protect her family, Mari teams up with the mysterious Thorne Goodman. Together, they'll face an evil plot in both the underworld of the Red Zone and the society inside the fortresses that could destroy those on the outside...for good. My ThoughtsAnn Aguirre's contribution to this anthology was actually my favorite, she took a combination of tried and true components for a storyline and put her own spin on it and her characters. I absolutely loved Mari Thistle, she is the ultimate underdog who in her own quiet way manages to eke out a living by illegal means to keep her and her siblings alive and at the same time she also makes sure that others around her are also watched out for. Thorne Goodman is the embodiment of the ultimate enforcer for the man in charge of the Red Zone, however Thorne is no one's lap dog and he has aspirations to change the current power structure forever.These two team up when Mari is sent to steal an object out of one of the society fortresses and she finds out her info is wrong and in the process sets off alarms, Thorne has bribed his way inside with the intention of rescuing her for his own purposes and in doing so puts both of them on the run. The action is hot and heavy, the give and take between Mari and Thorne is what fans have come to expect from this authors "couples" in her work and it adds such realism to the characters it makes the story that much more enjoyable.BOOK SYNOPSISSun Storm by Karen Duvall Sarah Daggot has been chasing storms since she was a child. But after the biggest solar flares in history nearly destroy the planet, she becomes a Kinetic, endowed by her exposure to extreme radiation with the power to sense coming storms-in the cosmos and beyond. And she's not the only one. Sarah believes the Kinetics are destined to join forces and halt the final onslaught of the sun. She'll vow to keep trying to convince the one missing link in their chain of defense, the enigmatic Ian Matthews, up until the world ends.My ThoughtsIt has been awhile since I have read a Sci-Fi romantic thriller, this short story was interesting in the world building, the characters were different and unique with their talents and the plot was a good old fashioned "let's save the world from extinction" that the author put her own spin on to keep it fresh as well as hair raisingly exciting in it's execution.I enjoyed watching the relationship between Ian and Sarah develop, as they learned to depend on each other and as they try to figure out how to combine their powers in a way that brings out their full potential the reader will be cheering them every step of the way as time ticks down and we all wait to see whether or not the world will end as predicted or whether the Kinetics can truly save it.I think this has potential for further development and would like to see the author take it to another level by continuing the story in a full length novel based on what happens next, one can hope![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]