jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Bittersweet Blood (The Order, #1) - Nina Croft BOOK SYNOPSISTara Collins just wants to be normal. Everyone else wants her dead.Tara’s eccentric aunt raised her to be fearful of the world and follow the rules. But after her aunt’s death, Tara is ready to take control and experience life for the first time. But she quickly discovers that everything she’s been told is a web of lies. Determined to solve the mystery of who she is truly, she hires private investigator to help her uncover the truth.Christian Roth is more than your average PI. A vampire and ex-demon hunter, Christian lives among the humans, trying to be “normal.” But recently, things seem to be falling apart. There’s a crazed demon hell-bent on revenge hunting him down, and a fae assassin on the loose with an unknown target. And the Order he abandoned desperately needs his help.As the secrets of Tara’s past collide with the problems in Christian’s present, she finds herself fighting her attraction to the dark and mysterious investigator. Falling in love does not fit into her plans at all, but Tara soon learns that some rules are meant to be broken.My ThoughtsHaving read a copy of Break Out, Blood Hunter series #1, back in July 2011 was really hoping to fall in love with Bittersweet Blood as well. Although liked the first book in the new series by the author did not love it as to be quite honest found myself thinking quite bit that it would be nice if the "truth" revealed about Tara was just a little bit more unique rather than a repeat of a tried and true formula used by so many authors nowadays that it makes the books that I enjoy reading start to become hard to differentiate from one another.I admit to not minding the feeling of deja-vu that came with reading the story, the characters were unique unto themselves even though they were pretty much run-of-the-mill familiar in tone and type;the story line and plot though also familiar was given it's own flavor by the author's writing style and the easy pace made it comfortable to keep up with both the characters and the action as it happened.Tara is a young woman whose very existence is called into question after the death of her aunt and her own foray into the life that she has always wanted for herself but never got to experience in her 20 odd years living with a woman who made sure she stayed close and as much as possible did not drawn attention to herself. The secrets revealed showing Tara's true parental origins are also not unique ones but they are given a good spin to make them work for the character that the author has created as the focal point of the story.While it is a straight forward tale that in no way breaks new ground in the paranormal genre you will still enjoy the story that the author has crafted and even if like me you find it a little too much like so many other books you have read before it will still entertain you and keep you company as you while away the hours it takes to finish the book.To say that you will also be a little taken with Christian Roth's character is a given as he is totally a vampire whose masculine appeal is very genuine and his ability to be both seductive and deadly is without doubt a huge check mark in his favor.The struggles that are faced by both Tara and Christian are what makes this story work on it's own merits, for anyone who loves to read the paranormal romance genre that would be enough to lure you in and keep your attention till the end.Hopefully as the series continues it will break new ground with the way in which the story and plot are crafted, if not than for myself there will be no real reason to continue it no matter how much my curiosity is aroused as to what happens to Tara next. Not a reread for me but all told not a bad story either.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]