jackiebcentraltexas

The Aftermath - Jen Alexander
Book Info

Hardcover, 288 pages

Expected publication: August 26th 2014 by Harlequin Teen

ISBN 0373211325 (ISBN13: 9780373211326)

other editions (3)

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Sometimes, I dream that I'm someone else.

A girl with dark hair who doesn't worry about hunger

or thirst or running from flesh-eaters.

In her world, those sorts of things don't exist.

Since the spring of 2036, when the world changed forever, Claudia and a small clan of survivors have roamed the streets of a very altered Nashville: polluted and desolate, except for the ever-present threat of cannibal Hoarders. Together they must undergo punishing tests of endurance and psychological challenge sometimes with devastating consequences all just to live another day.

With food and water in dwindling supply, and with danger lurking around every corner, no one can be trusted. And as her world starts to make less and less sense, Claudia begins to realize something terrifying: she is just a pawn in some sort of game, and all of her actions are being controlled from afar by a mysterious gamer. So when she meets a maddening and fascinating outsider named Declan, who claims to be a game moderator, she must decide whether to join him in exchange for protection and access to the border.

If they play the game right, they are each other's best hope for survival and a life beyond the only world Claudia's ever known: the terrifying live-action game known as The Aftermath.

My Thoughts

This sounds very straightforward doesn’t it but things are not always what they seem and in Claudia’s case what passes for the truth is not even close!

There is a lot of violent bloody action in this one, interspersed with a whole lot of introspection on Claudia’s part where she is learning that life as she and her friends know it is not exactly as it seems to be.

This really was a fascinating look into a unique type of dystopian tale, being that it was set far into the future of course the technology available was as amazing as it was disturbing.

The way in which we were introduced to the truth paved the way to setting up the bulk of the book which alternated between Claudia attempting to figure out a way out of the game and than with Declan’s help making the attempt after they finish the task he explained to Claudia was the reason for his being in the game.

Torn between what is real and what she now knows was based on lies Claudia must make some very painful decisions before the final twist that unveils just how many secrets and lies are being kept from her. Secrets and lies which are at the very core of her existence!

Despite being able to rapidly breeze through the story also found myself walking away throughout the day to take breaks to digest what I had read. Once picked back up there was no problem getting right back into the book.

Not an RPGer personally but the concept was utilized excellently and the execution for the final plot twist was well planned, even though hate cliffhanger endings.

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]