jackiebcentraltexas

Run - Andrew Grant
Book Info

Hardcover, 288 pages

Expected publication: October 7th 2014 by Ballantine Books

ISBN 0345540727 (ISBN13: 9780345540720)

other editions (1)

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Marc Bowman, a highly successful computer consultant and software designer, walks into his job at a major tech company one morning only to find himself fired on the spot, stonewalled by his boss, and ushered out of the building. Then things get worse: An explosive argument drives his wife away and a robbery threatens to yank a million-dollar idea—and his whole future—out from under him. In a matter of hours, Marc has gone from having it all to being sucker-punched by fate. But it’s only Monday, and before the week is over, he’ll be stalked, ambushed, wiretapped, arrested, duped, double- and triple-crossed—until he can’t tell enemies from allies.

Suddenly, the only thing standing between him and the wrath of everyone from the FBI to Homeland Security to his desperate ex-bosses is a flash drive full of data that might just be the holy grail of high-tech secrets—and a holy terror in the wrong hands. Now, as the gloves come off and the guns come out, turning back is hopeless and giving up is madness. The only person left for Marc to trust is himself. And the only thing left to do is keep running—or end up a dead man walking.

My Thoughts

This was at times an awesome combination of action, mystery, intrigue, suspense and plain old fashioned bad luck on Marc Bowman's part. How this all plays out on the other hand is a bit convulated to the point of being totally overwhelming at times for the reader to keep track of what was going on, at times it was actually easy to see why others have said they got to the point where they no longer cared what happened nor did they like Marc or his wife Carolyn's characters.

To be quite honest by the time the story ended even I was getting tired of Marc and Carolyn, even after discovering why she had reacted the way she did when Marc came home and told her what had happened to him that Monday morning when he was unexpectedly fired.

This story is driven by intense bursts of action that in turn are filled with the whys and wherefores of what is motivating Marc being pursued by both Homeland Security agents as well as other people whose identity seems to be unclear at times.

When all is said and done this boils down to a suspense thriller that proves sometimes being innocent does not matter, what matters is how good one is at staying alive. The biggest deterrent for me in totally being on board 100% with the story is how easy it was for both Marc and Carolyn to act selfishly, putting morals aside and acting in their own best interests individually as well as in the end together.

While I do understand the reason why it played out in that manner it still gave me pause that in the end criminal acts on both their parts were swept under the rug so to speak so the couple could stay together, at least for the immediate future.

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]