jackiebcentraltexas

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

Amazon

BOOK SYNOPSIS

After a mysterious Sickness wipes out the rest of the population, the young survivors assemble into tightly run tribes. Jefferson, the reluctant leader of the Washington Square tribe, and Donna, the girl he's secretly in love with, have carved out a precarious existence among the chaos. But when another tribe member discovers a clue that may hold the cure to the Sickness, five teens set out on a life-altering road trip to save humankind.

The tribe exchanges gunfire with enemy gangs, escapes cults and militias, braves the wilds of the subway and Central Park...and discovers truths they could never have imagined.

My Thoughts

Despite the fact that the story follows a very familiar path that is quite similar to ones written by various other authors this book is in no way a complete copycat but rather it embraces all the good points from it’s predecessors with likable characters, lots of action scenes and an ending that will not take you totally by surprise but does tie up the story arc of this first book up to a point with a good lead in to solid opening for the one to follow in the trilogy.

Told in alternating points of view from Donna and Jefferson the story depicts a reality that is pretty graphic as well as sobering when one thinks about how easily the scenarios of how the Sickness came about and was spread could come to pass.

I enjoyed hearing the alternating voices explain what was happening during each chapter as Donna and Jefferson trade off telling what is going on as the action unfolds. Especially when they and their companions started traveling, while doing so the different factions of survivors that they encounter drove home just how much survival depended on working together.

So many have compared this to certain other books as well as a series of shows that I have never heard of much less watched or read, do agree though that there is a lot of similarity to The Lord Of The Flies while maintaining it’s own spin on how things are handled as the group of teens face each obstacle in their path.

After thinking about it for a few days since reading have come to the conclusion that regardless of the fact that this is not a totally original idea, nor is it a book that will appeal to every reader, it still has a certain charm all on its own that made me very glad to have had a chance to take the journey along with Donna, Jefferson and their friends.

This truly was a book where the anticipation of wanting to know what happened next was almost as good as the actual events described, a really honest to goodness sit down and read to the finish type of story!

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]