jackiebcentraltexas

Book Info

Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages

Expected publication: August 5th 2014 by Sourcebooks Casablanca

original title The Highlander's Bride Trouble

ISBN 1402264860 (ISBN13: 9781402264863)

edition language English

series The Sutherlands #4

other editions None found

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Has this savage Highlander finally found a woman to tame him?

Nareen Grant is confident, well-educated, and quick with a dagger. So when her brother, Kael, unknowingly sends her to live at a cousin’s secret brothel, she escapes to court where she meets the arrogant Highlander, Saer MacLeod…

Saer is considered savage even by most Highlanders. It will take an extraordinary woman to handle him, and Nareen enchants him like no one he’s met before. When a furious Kael threatens revenge against the cousin who wronged his sister, Saer knows its his one chance to win over Nareen and reclaim the respect his family deserves…and he’s going to take it.

My Thoughts

As a general rule the formula of strong willed heroine who fights tooth and nail against the arrogant domineering alpha male’s dictates of her behavior all the while the two are physically drawn to each other works for me on many levels.

In the case of Nareen Grant and Saer MacLeod however there were too many times when the pair both needed their heads knocked together which was a huge deterrent to me being able to love this book rather than just liking it.

There is a lot to be said however for the settings the author brought to life within her story, the secondary characters added so much to the depth of everyday life for both Nareen and Saer but most of all the internal battles that play out as the pair learn to care for each other beyond their lust is very enlightening as the reader learns exactly what motivates them to act like idiots with each other on more than one occasion.

The fact that NO was never taken seriously on Saer’s part when it came to his seduction of Nareen did not endear me to his character, regardless of the fact that he is portrayed as an alpha male his lack of respect for what Nareen wishes was for me a red flag that indicated crossing a line between seduction and coercion. This is something that has always bothered me and as get older it has become more of an issue.

Nareen Grant’s character also has a habit of saying one thing verbally but with her physical actions and reactions to Saer not following through but instead inviting him to believe she welcomes his attentions.

This is also something that is very prevalent in romance stories and even when it works it still leaves me feeling that it perpetuates false security for real life situations, however that is a personal issue that in no way detracts from enjoying the fantasy of a historical romance that authors like Mary Wine work so hard to create for their readers!

So while cannot say that loved the book or the story completely did enjoy what it represented which was escapism for the time it took to read from beginning to end, for that and the fact that Highland Historical Romance is one of my favorite genres thanks to the very larger than life characters that authors create for us to fall in love with.

[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]