jackiebcentraltexas

Book Buy Links

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Augustine lives the perfect life in the Haven city of New Orleans. He rarely works a real job, spends most of his nights with a different human woman, and resides in a spectacular Garden District mansion paid for by retired movie star Olivia Goodwin, who has come to think of him as an adopted son, providing him room and board and whatever else he needs.

But when Augustine returns home to find Olivia's been attacked by vampires, he knows his idyllic life has comes to an end. It's time for revenge—and to take up the mantle of the city's Guardian.

My Thoughts

Having discovered the author when read the first books in series that this one is a spin off of and enjoyed House Of Comarre it was with great anticipation that I requested a copy of House of The Rising Sun-Crescent City #1 to read from Netgalley.

The story is set in one of my favorite places to read about, New Orleans. The historical ambiance of the famed city is touched upon as is the rich and rowdy nightlife it is also famous for. The fact that this is an urban fantasy set in a future version of the real world helps to make it easy to relate to as far as the setting and the fantastical characters that the story introduces have enough differences to set them apart from humans to make them appealing as well as unique.

This story is filled with action, intrigue, power plays, self discovery and much more that takes place in a short span of time with a multitude of characters whose different personalities come through very strongly to create a great cast that the reader wants to know more about.

The easy to understand narrative style of the story is captivating and the tale it tells had me totally enjoying the reading of it and it is hard to put down!

My favorite setting of New Orleans with added allure of fae, vampires, witches and voodoo made this a very appealing entry into a new series. A tale of loss and new beginnings, enjoyable from start to finish and I want next book now!
[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]