jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

The Mirror (Northwest Passage #5)

The Mirror (Northwest Passage #5) - John A. Heldt

Source:Digital copy from Author

Book Buy Links

Amazon

BOOK SYNOPSIS

On September 11, 2020, Ginny and Katie Smith celebrate their nineteenth birthday at a country fair near Seattle. Ignoring the warnings of a fortune-teller, they enter a house of mirrors and exit in May 1964. Armed with the knowledge they need to return to their time, they try to make the most of what they believe will be a four-month vacation. But their sixties adventure becomes complicated when they meet a revered great-grandmother and fall in love with local boys. In THE MIRROR, the continuation of THE MINE and THE SHOW, the sisters find happiness and heartbreak as they confront unexpected challenges and gut-wrenching choices in the age of civil rights, the Beatles, and Vietnam.

My Thoughts

Twins Ginny and Katie Smith are like night and day. Ginny is outgoing, bubbly and always up for an adventure while Katie likes to think things out, take her time and plays it safe. However the one thing the girls do have in common is their love for each other and their family which plays a big part in the decisions they make when confronted with the reality of what to do with no valid currency, ID or contacts in 1964 Seattle.

Like the other four books in the Northwest Passage series the reader is emotionally invested with the characters and caught up in their story from the very first page, in this particular book it is even easier as both Katie and Ginny are very engaging young women whose ability to make one smile goes a long way toward cementing affection for them.

As the twins find themselves employment, a place to live and make friends things progress rapidly and we find ourselves caught up in the girls struggles to try their best to limit the impact their presence makes before they can leave and return to the year 2020. It comes as no surprise when they both find themselves more involved than they had counted on and forming emotional attachments that they tried very hard to suppress knowing that the people they left behind would never be seen again.

We are taken through a period of time that was full of unrest politically as the country faced division over the civil rights movement as well as backlash from a very unpopular war that erupted in Vietnam. During this time period we also had the influx of some of the greatest talents in music as well, the excitement generated by appearances in the States from The Beatles was even touched on when the Smith twins and their friends got a chance to see them perform.

The heart wrenching decisions that Ginny and Kate face at the end of the four month period when their time is up will have you wrecked as much as it did them, the surprising twists that come to light when all the dots are connected clear up the mystery of their journey back into time and add even more romance to the joyous ending of the book.

Totally engrossing with so many topics that struck a chord with me from beginning to end. This is the end of a series that just so happened to have taken place during a period of time that I can identify with being a child of the 1960's which added to it's appeal very much for me

To say that this is just a simple time travel romance in no way does the book justice as it is so much more than that, it is a story of family, a story of love, a story of new beginnings, a story of pain and loss and hope for a better tomorrow, most of all it is a story of friendship that bonds two people together stronger than even the blood they share!