jackiebcentraltexas

edition language English
series Wrecked #1
other editions (2)
Book Synopsis
“There would be no happy ending for us. He was too damaged. I was too broken.”

Two years ago, Lorrie’s mother was murdered. But that wasn’t the end of it. Reeling from the tragedy, Lorrie’s father spiraled into alcohol, depression, and finally suicide.

The two most important people in Lorrie’s life are both gone but she’s still alive.

Trying to recover from the tragedy, Lorrie returns to campus, ready to pick up the pieces of her life. All Lorrie wants is to get back to “normal.”

Then she meets Hunter. The man, the legend, “the Hammer.”

Hunter is a cage fighter who takes on every fight like he’s got nothing to lose. His life is a tangled mess of girls, booze, and fist fights. And while it may seem like he’s got a devil-may-care attitude, he’s fighting a private cage-match with a monster he can’t defeat.

Lorrie knows that Hunter is the exact type of guy she should stay away from, especially in her fragile state, but Hunter has other ideas.

As Hunter and Lorrie grow closer together, will they be able to overcome their pain and heal each other? Or will they both end up wrecked?

WRECKED
RESCUED (WRECKED BOOK TWO: Coming Early 2014)

ebook, 286 pages
Published December 11th 2013 by Blackbird Publishing
ISBN 139781494244385
edition language English
series Wrecked #1
other editions (2)

My Thoughts
Wrecked not only aptly describes the MC's relationship it also portrays the readers state of mind when finished with the book.

This is another one of those books with the main male character, Hunter, being portrayed as the "tattooed, muscular badass fighter" who is actually a "sensitive, caring and vulnerable" young man whose past is full of angst as well as a family that would in no way qualify as good role models much less loving examples of parental figures. If the family drama is not enough add in a major "health issue" that Hunter has kept hidden from almost everyone in his life and things just go from complicated to pretty much out of control at times.

Lorrie, the main female character, has just as much if not more of an emotional load of baggage. Her mother was murdered by her stepfather after which her father chooses to commit suicide. This in turn leads to Lorrie having mental issues which cause her to withdraw from college in order to get her life back on track. Now after a period of time she decided to reenter college life and continue her education without any relationship entanglements to cause further drama.

My feelings are mixed, think that the best thing for both Hunter and Lorrie is to call it quits as they both make me wish sometimes that they had never met. At the same time though would like it to work out between the pair as they seemed to find a measure of peace with each other that was sorely lacking in their lives prior to them becoming a couple.

This was a perplexing read for me as though finished it easily and fairly quickly it left me feeling flat as even though there is a hopeful note at the end it just seems to me that the issues both main characters are working through will never lead them to connect fully with each other. To be quite honest they probably should not but that would not make for interesting reading for fans of the genre.

With the way the story ended we are left with the knowledge that there will be long hard road ahead for Hunter if he finds Lorrie again, getting her to accept that his love is real is only one of the many obstacles he faces as he still has to share the secret that caused them to disconnect from each other due to miscommunication in the first place.

Both he and Lorrie’s emotional fragility leads me to hope that book 2 finds them able to finally make peace with their problems, otherwise there is no future for them together.

[EARC from Netgalley for honest review]