jackiebcentraltexas

Fallen

Fallen - Traci L. Slatton
Book Info

Paperback, 240 pages

Published April 20th 2013 by Parvati Press (first published July 12th 2011)

ISBN 0989023222 (ISBN13: 9780989023221)

series After Trilogy #1

other editions (6)

Source:Copy From Author

Book Buy Links

AMAZON
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

As chaos descends on a crippled Earth, survivors are tormented by strange psychic gifts. In this time of apocalyptic despair, love is put to the test. One woman with mysterious healing power guides eight children to safety. Charismatic Arthur offers her a haven. Slowly Emma falls for him. But at the moment of their sweetest love, his devastating secret is revealed, and they are lost to each other.

My Thoughts

As far as the genre goes this particular offering of a post apocalyptic dystopian was one that appealed to me because of the mystical side to the storyline. The fact that survivors had changed in ways that defied man’s parameters of “normal” was very unique and also gave the story a tone that was beyond most of the other books that I have enjoyed in this genre.

Needless to say there is still brutal reality that life as we know it will never be the same, however the fact that there are still people alive with the knowledge and the skills to rebuild the world anew gives the reader hope.

With an edgy strong cast of supporting as well as main characters along with some very action packed scenes that play off the survivors strengths and magnify some of their weaknesses this is a book that swept me along easily even when I did not agree with some of Emma’s decisions. The actual relationship of mutual respect and caring that develops between she and Arthur is one that gives depth to what otherwise is a very practical arrangement. Hopefully the secrets that these two are keeping from one another do not end up costing them more than they have already lost but you will have to read the story to find out for yourself.

By the end of Fallen I was very vested in the outcome and judging by the ending the next book, Bk #2 Cold Light which I am now reading, is going to have some major shocks in store for more then just Arthur and Haywood. This was a good beginning to a new kind of dystopian trilogy, one that explores boundaries not touched on yet by others that I have read. Glad author sent books two and three as well because have to see a resolution to the conflict that is looming over Emma's head.

Order in which to read Trilogy:

Bk #1 Fallen