jackiebcentraltexas

Circle of Death

Circle of Death - Keri Arthur
Book Info

Paperback, 352 pages

Expected publication: February 25th 2014 by Dell (first published June 5th 2002)

original title Circle of Death (Damask Circle, #2)

ISBN 0440246563 (ISBN13: 9780440246565)

series Damask Circle #2

other editions (6)

Source:Netgalley EARC

Book Buy Links

AMAZON
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

PASSION REBORN

In one vicious night, Kirby Brown’s world is torn apart. Her best friend is dead, killed by a madman who is now after Kirby, and she has no idea why. When the police prove incapable of protecting Kirby, she has no choice but to trust a mysterious stranger. And while she finds herself inexplicably drawn to him, she fears the strange abilities he wields.

An investigator for the Damask Circle, Doyle Fitzgerald, has come to Melbourne, Australia, to hunt down a killer. What he doesn’t expect to find is a cadre of witches capable of controlling the elements, a sorceress determined to take that power for herself, and a broken woman who is more than she seems. Doyle is certain that the reason behind the bloodshed lies in Kirby’s past—a past she has no wish to remember. Because Doyle isn’t the only one with magic in his soul: Kirby’s special gifts have the strength to destroy the world.

My Thoughts

Like Circle of Fire book 2 Circle Of Death focuses on one couple who are brought together during a murder investigation by Damask Circle members.

However this time found myself totally delighted with both main characters as they clicked for me immediately upon being introduced to them, this in turn made the story much more enjoyable as it unfolded.

The writing also seemed to be smoother as the plot pacing and the way in which different story threads were connected flowed better as did the development of both Kirby and Doyle as their story lines were exposed, the two manage to uncover clues to the killer they are seeking as well as a relationship that is more believable since they do not instantly act upon their attraction to each other but let it develop a little more naturally as they spend time together.

Just like lots of other romantic suspense this one takes place in a short period of time but manages to impart a lot of action, tense moments as well as some surprises that keep you wanting to find out what comes next which all ties together to create a reading experience that is very easy to follow.

While there is a lot going on in this book that gives us glimpses into both Doyle and Kirby’s past it adds to the reality of the story and as things build every new reveal brings us closer to why Kirby is one of the women targeted by the killer.

Like first book in the series this book can be read as a stand alone since it concludes without a cliffhanger ending of any kind, a fact that I am particularly fond of as so many series lead from one book to the next.
[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]