jackiebcentraltexas

Seeking Dr. Magic - Scott Spotson
Book Info

Paperback, 220 pages

Published March 25th 2013 by Createspace

ISBN 1481925628 (ISBN13: 9781481925624)

Source:From authorin exchange for honest review

Book Buy Links

AMAZON

B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Chaos reigns around the world. Strange creatures, accorded the title "Phantom Ninjas" by the media, are leaping off tall buildings and somersaulting back up without any scratch - and then disappear. There follows more spontaneous acts of magic, confounding the world. Who - or what - is responsible? In the middle of the mystery arrives Detective Hetfield, a private investigator just recently retired from the FBI, who is accustomed to fame as a star witness in the murder trial of a beloved actress. Hetfield, seeking ever more celebrity to boost his profile, uses the media to put forward the theory that a person of extraordinary magical powers is behind all the incidents, and labels him Dr. Magic. Hetfield gets much more than what he bargained for when that powerful being does exist - in the form of a young man long disillusioned with his past - and cruelly takes him up on his offer.

For lovers of witty and light-hearted wizard stories involving magic.

My Thoughts

What initially led me to accepting a copy of this book from the author was the aspect of a magical being, the hint that it was a wizard causing the inevitable media circus and the character of Detective Hetfield actually reminded me of one that I had watched in a movie about a police detective who was also a "fame monger". Put all those bits and pieces together and believe it or not the author has pulled off a pretty entertaining story!

Although this is a thoroughly fun read it also has serious overtones as well which lend credibility to it's final outcome. Detective Tony Hetfield reminds me of a cross between investigative reporter Carl Kolchak in the Nightstalker television series, Detective Columbo and fictitious P.I. Remington Steele. Tony is a composite of the unrelenting determination of Kolchak to discover the truth no matter how bizarre, the ability to ferret out leads that others overlook with a canniness born of good investigative skills like Columbo and like the egotistical Remington Steele the skillful use of his charm and good looks to lull people into trusting him with information they would not normally divulge to others.

I have to admit that the entire time reading this book was like watching a Marvel Comics movie! It had the "larger than life" action scenes like something off the big screen and the intellectual appeal that will attract readers to not only Tony Hetfield but Dr Magic as well as both characters are very proficient at the real life game of chess they are playing, the only question in the readers mind is who will reach checkmate first?

Like others before me it is best to leave a lot out so as not to spoil the mystery of "Dr Magic" but the journey you will undertake as Detective Hetfield unravels the true origin and identity of this "prankster" is one you will not want to miss. Like myself and others who have enjoyed the unique aspects created by the author as he pits Hetfield against Magic the book will provide you with an excellent escape from reality for the time it takes to read the story. For myself that is a great incentive and I think it is the same for anyone else who enjoys fantasy as well.

Different than the usual sci-fi fantasy that I read as this one provides a unique paranormal twist to the main character's storyline. I have to say that would have finished quicker if had fewer interruptions the day I actually started the book as at a little over 200 pages it was very fast reading. My thanks to Scott for his initial query about reading the book, just wish could have gotten to it sooner.