jackiebcentraltexas

Independent Study

Independent Study - Joelle Charbonneau
Book Info

ebook, 320 pages

Published January 7th 2014 by Harcourt Brace and Company (first published December 14th 2013)

original title Independent Study

ISBN 0544151526 (ISBN13: 9780544151529)

edition language English

series The Testing #2
other editions (11)

Source:Kindle version borrowed from Public Library

Book Buy Links

Amazon
B&N

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Seventeen-year-old Cia Vale survived The Testing, as has Tomas, the boy she loves, and they have both gained admission to the University. She has a promising future as a leader of the United Commonwealth and no memory of her bloody testing experience, thanks to a government-sanctioned memory wipe. Cia should be happy but is plagued by doubts about the past and future. Determined to find the truth, she embarks on a path of study forbidden by the government delving into the Commonwealth's darkest secrets. What she finds is the brutal reality lurking behind the friendly faces of her classmates and the unbearable realization that leaders chosen to protect us can be our greatest enemy. The much-anticipated second book of the dystopian THE TESTING series is another blazing and intense story, packed with twists, romance, unexpected alliances, betrayal, and the heart-racing reality that your life is a test that begins right now.

My Thoughts

We return to find both Cia and Tomas having arrived at the University in Tosu City, after surviving The Testing trials it would seem that life for the lucky pair should be easier but in reality this next phase of their journey is filled with as many if not more pitfalls than their past experiences.

I found myself once again cringing over and over as Cia finds herself in situations that prove to her the leaders of The United Commonwealth do not have the best interests of common citizens at the forefront of their plans but rather a future reign of tyranny that threatens those Cia loves as well as many others who have no idea just how tenuous their right to live has become.

The stressful tension of trusting the wrong person is almost overwhelming for Cia, the fact that she even stays alive in this second of the trilogy owes as much to luck as skill on her part.

A true testament to the power of the written word and it’s ability to shock, awe and entertain us while also giving us a lot to think about within it’s lessons.

[Kindle version borrowed from Public Library]