jackiebcentraltexas

Dragon

Dragon - James McCormick
Book Info

Paperback, 260 pages

Published May 18th 2014 (first published October 25th 2013)

ISBN 1938703200

edition language English

URL

other editions (1)

Source:Digital copy from Author in exchange for honest review

Book Buy Links

Amazon

BOOK SYNOPSIS

Dragon is an epic, action packed tale of adventure set amongst the political backdrop of an uneasy intergalactic cease fire. As worlds conspire against each other, Gax, an insane warlord stockpiles an arsenal of ancient technology in his attempt to rule known space. Two ill matched and reluctant heroes stand in his way; Sillow, a neurotic and cowardly Sylvan and Brok, a surly and ill tempered Herkulun warrior. After a chance meeting in a seedy, mobster owned casino the two find their fates interlinked as they are propelled into a series of hair raising adventures that takes them from wanted smugglers to agents of a peace keeping alliance. As war grows close once again Sillow and Brok realize it is they alone who must stop Gax and prevent Armageddon, a very tall order indeed for two unlikely heroes.

My Thoughts

Having been approached by an author unknown to me first downloaded the sample of the book to my Kindle, it was enjoyable reading and accepted the request to read and review book and after having finished am truly happy that I did so as it was the perfect blending of sci-fi/fantasy/action adventure genres with suspenseful twists that gave it a punch!

As a child growing up my first foray into sci-fi was watching and reading the adventures of Captain James T. Kirk, Dr. McCoy and Spock as they traveled from space expedition to space expedition on the Starship Enterprise, always wanted to be able to say “Beam me up Scotty” but alas our technology has not advanced to molecular transporters capable of transferring humans from one location to another.

Then my love of the idea of space travel was cemented with the adventures of Han Solo and Chewie aboard the Millennium Falcon, a fast agile ship that belied it’s weathered exterior appearance kind of like an old beater car with a souped up Hemi engine.

Those were only two of the references that came to mind when learning about ”Dragon” and with the ship having cloaking, transporting and warp speed capabilities it compared favorably to both the Enterprise and Falcon. What made it more fun though was it’s ability to appear to Sillow and Brok in the image of a Red/Gold Dragon, pulled straight out of a fantasy that was a favorite of Sillow’s the space ship had certain unique characteristics that allowed it to utilize some of the mythical beasts abilities and set it apart into a class of transportation that was mind blowing!

Sillow and Brok’s adventures span many years and will take the reader from their first chance encounter, where Brok rescues Sillow, and it’s subsequent pairing of the two totally different characters all the way through their many battles as they encounter enemies in the employ of Tuolon Warlord Hana Gax who seeks to become the ruler of all the races in space down to the final encounter which thrilled as well as chilled when things became dicey for our heroes.

The action is fast paced, the tension when Brok and Sillow are facing overwhelming odds is intense and there are even lighthearted humorous moments when you least expect them.

Overall a great adventure that was fun and thought provoking as well. If there were to be a sequel would greatly love to read it!

[Source:Digital copy from Author in exchange for honest review]