jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

The Lost Prince

The Lost Prince - Julie Kagawa Book SynopsisDon’t look at Them. Never let Them know you can see Them.That is Ethan Chase’s unbreakable rule. Until the fey he avoids at all costs—including his reputation—begin to disappear, and Ethan is attacked. Now he must change the rules to protect his family. To save a girl he never thought he’d dare to fall for.Ethan thought he had protected himself from his older sister’s world—the land of Faery. His previous time in the Iron Realm left him with nothing but fear and disgust for the world Meghan Chase has made her home, a land of myth and talking cats, of magic and seductive enemies. But when destiny comes for Ethan, there is no escape from a danger long, long forgotten.This novel is one of Julie’s books that will have you demanding for the second one as soon as you finish your read.My ThoughtsThe previous books set in the "Iron Fey" series have become some of my favorite reads and so when I learned that the author was going to release a spin-off with the first book being about Meghan's half-brother Ethan Chase my joy was without measure. My pre-ordered copy just was not going to get to me soon enough so when I found that "The Lost Prince" was available for review on Net Galley I had to see if the publisher would grant my request to get a copy of the E-ARC and when they approved it that made my day!Ethan Chase was kidnapped at age 4 by the Fey and held captive at their mercy where he was tortured and those memories have stayed with him in the intervening 12 years causing him to have nightmares and an all encompassing hatred for their kind. He also has become a withdrawn loner because after watching a childhood friend become a victim of them he decided that the best thing to do was just ward off the Fey by any means at hand and keep people at a distance so they would not get hurt.My heart went out to Ethan, he feels so cut off from anyone as he is the only one who can see the "Fey" and even though his Mother and Father know they exist he cannot tell them just how badly the beings plague him every chance they get as it would cause his own parents to become their targets as well.Ethan's character is not warm and fuzzy but he is a young man who captures your heart as his loneliness and intentional emotional distance are hard to resist as we wish we could help make his life better. Even at his worst moments readers understand that Ethan is the way he is due to his fear and hatred of the Fey folk.This book has a lot of very wonderful references to the earlier Iron Fey world especially once Ethan goes back to the Nevernever, it also showcases new and intimidatingly deadly beings that are slowly decimating the exiled and half-blooded Fey in the real world. Ethan must undertake a quest to help the very beings that he has hated for so long, along with his classmate Kenzie who starts out as just a friendly nuisance and ends up being someone who is very dear to him. The thrilling action scenes where Ethan and Kenzie along with Kierran do battle against "The Forgotten" are nail biters. There are just enough cameo appearances with Ash, Meghan, Puck, Razor, Grimalkin and Annwyl to make this feel familiar but yet at the same time the addition of new characters gave the book it's own vibe. This is not only a spin-off of a popular series, it is a darned good story with plots and characters that are going to be loved by readers on their own merits![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]