jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Burning Up: The Smoke Jumpers

Burning Up - Anne Marsh Book SynopsisIt takes a special kind of hero to be a smoke jumper. To take the greatest risks. To live or die in the raging heat of the moment. And it takes a special kind of woman to love him. . .Where There's Smoke. . .For Jack Donovan, smoke jumping is a way of life. He lives for the adrenaline rush--the thrill of flying over the burning California hills, the intensity of diving straight into the inferno, the glory of taming the forces of nature. Love is a distant ember compared to the feeling he gets fighting fires--until an emergency call from his hometown brings him face to face with the one woman he can't forget. . .There's FireLily never got over the handsome rogue who once kissed her senseless--and then left. She vowed she was done with love-'em-and-leave-'em men and small town life. Until a series of malicious fires set by a stalker has her running home to hide. Now, their summer is heating up as Jack fights to save her from the stalker's fiery threats and to convince her to give the passion between them a second chance.My Thoughts10 years after leaving Strong California Jack returns in response to a call from his adoptive Mother Nonna, after all when Nonna says something is an emergency than you can bet she is not exaggerating!Lily Cortez also left Strong, carving a life for herself in the city of San Francisco. Lily has come back to the small town trying to escape a stalker and finds a lavender farm that she buys and in the process of making the farm into something of her own finds peace and a sense of home that she never really had before.This is a vibrant story, it details the perils that firefighters face every time they put themselves in harms way to protect and defend property, homes and possessions that belong to someone else from raging fires that in a short span of time can turn everything in it's path to embers and ashes. In particular the scenes where Jake and his team of "smoke jumpers" confront the horrific destruction from the air, jumping down into the very heart of the inferno to fight a fire raging out of control that you cannot get to from the ground really puts into perspective the very special kind of person it takes to do this intense and deadly job. From a personal standpoint I have always admired firemen, the ones that I have known were not paid but volunteers in small towns that had only a small amount of resources to fight with but they never backed down when the call came and gave everything they had to make sure a fire was controlled, contained and if possible put out before it could do more damage than it already had.However this story is more than about the dangers of fighting fire, it is also about one man and one woman whose chance at romance 10 years in their past was never fully explored as Lily was too young and Jack was too scared. There are also elements of drama and mystery that involve the reason why Lily has come back to her hometown of Strong, the unknown stalker who drove her to leave San Francisco has followed her home and once again starts to leave a trail of fiery destruction behind which is the reason why Jack has come back.What happens next will leave you breathless with anticipation, on the edge of your seat waiting to see if the villain is stopped in time and very much wanting the next book once you finish as there is still much left untold about the team of smoke jumpers and what the future holds.This is a wonderful start to what I hope is at least a trilogy in the series, this first book details Jack and Lily's relationship which is hotter than the wildfires that Jack and his team fight! Also am totally in love with the town of strong, especially Nonna, Ben and Ma's honkytonk all make me want to visit and stay awhile so I can see Lily's lavendar farm for myself. I have always loved the idea of a field of lavendar but never seen one. I want to know more about what happens to the inhabitants of the town of Strong, where things go with Nonna and Ben but most of all what comes to pass with Jack's brothers Evan and Rio now that the team has a base setting up in the town of Strong.This book is a strong contemporary romance with enough thrilling mystery elements to add a spice of danger to the mix. Where some questions are answered for the reader others are brought to light and it will be very interesting to see how the author handles them in books to come. I personally look forward to it very much as I enjoy the style of storytelling that Anne Marsh brings to each of her works, enjoy the honorable characteristics that she gives each of her heroes and heroines and most of all enjoy where her imagination takes the reader in each story that she pens so passionately and eloquently. [Copy of book from author in exchange for honest review]