jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Slow Burn

Slow Burn - Anne Marsh BOOK SYNOPSISThe second in Anne Marsh’s pulse-pounding Smoke Jumpers series ripples with nail-biting suspense and sensuality, giving an inside look at a special brand of hero and the kind of woman it takes to win him.It’s not every man who’ll risk his life jumping into the flames of a woodland inferno. Then again, Evan Donovan isn’t like other men. No matter how great or how treacherous the challenge, he gets the job done. But when he agrees to look in on a friend’s ex-wife after a suspicious brushfire, Evan learns that some jobs are too hot to handle…Faye Duncan is a photographer on a mission, shooting fires for a magazine. Her first encounter with a wildfire isn’t nearly as wild as her first night with Evan Donovan. Things really heat up when Evan learns she may have taken a photo of the arsonist setting the fires. Evan is determined to keep Faye safe—but first, he’ll have to open up his heart…My ThoughtsI honestly enjoyed this one more than the first book Burning Up. Evan and Faye just took center stage and kept it through the entire narrative, from the adrenaline rush the pair get when they jump from a plane together to just hanging out talking these two characters build the kind of relationship we all want to share with a significant other!What do you do when an old friend calls you up and asks you for a favor? Especially when that favor is to make sure an ex-wife is doing okay and then she turns out to be someone who heats up your world better than a wildfire on a mountainside! Evan Donovan finds out when he walks in the door of Ma's Bar and sees a beautiful woman belting out a tune off-key at the top of her lungs while sitting on the jukebox surrounded by empty drink glasses.Faye Duncan headed out on the heels of her divorce to find some adventure,driving hell for leather in her vintage red corvette. She found it when she came over the mountain and directly into the path of a blaze on the way to Strong. Luckily there was a firefighter controlling the site and Faye was able to drive through the small amount of flames and then capture shots with her digital camera that showed the one lone man fighting to keep the damage from spreading.A setting like this with a small town is one that I really think works well for the author, she seems to get into the heart of her characters as easily as she gets into their minds and in doing so creates a place with people you want to get to know for yourself and a town you may even never want to leave once you get there!It is not all roses and sunshine though, firefighting is a dangerous occupation which is illustrated with heartbreaking reality in the scenes that spotlight Evan and the rest of the crew. There are times in the telling where you can actually smell the smoke, feel the heat of the fire and the exhaustion caused by the battle which goes long hours and saps every bit of energy that adrenaline gives until you finally get to the point where there is no more left. The setting of this series is one reason why I keep coming back for more, the characters that are fleshed out and given such realistic qualities are the main reason however as even the ones who do not fight the fires to keep Strong and it's neighbors safe are worth getting to know as without their background support it would not be the same.This second book really took us deeper into the background of the Donovan boys, it also took us much on a journey into what makes each of them tick and as Evan and Faye become closer and closer it was gratifying to see both of them finally come to grips with what it meant to truly love another person and put their wants and needs first. A lesson that is hard won for the two of them but the payoff at the end was well worth the troubles it took them to get there!Fans of this series have a treat when the author releases her next book in July Reburn-The Hotshots which also is about sexy firefighters and is available in ebook for preorder from Amazon.Love the Smoke Jumpers!Thank you for sending the ARC early Anne, this was the pick-me-up romantic suspense I needed after my last book read.[ARC from Author in exchange for honest review]