jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

The Summer He Came Home (Bad Boys of Crystal Lake)

The Summer He Came Home - Juliana Stone BOOK SYNOPSISSometimes the best place to find love is right back where you started…Falling asleep in a different bed every night has made it easy for Cain Black to forget his past. It’s been ten years since he packed his guitar and left Crystal Lake to chase his dreams. Now tragedy has forced him home again. And though Cain relishes the freedom of the road, one stolen moment with Maggie O’Rourke makes him wonder if he’s missing out on something bigger than fame.For Maggie—single mother and newly settled in Crystal Lake—love is a luxury she just can’t afford. Sure, she appreciates the tall, dark and handsome looks of prodigal son Cain Black. But how long can she expect the notorious hellion to stay?The last thing either of them wants is something complicated. But sometimes love has its own plans.My ThoughtsComplex fully rounded characters make this a fast easy read and the complications posed by both Cain and Maggie's pasts add spice, drama and realism to their story.A young man who leaves home to make his way in the rock and roll world is back ten years later to bury a childhood friend who has died serving his country. The tragedy is the reason why Cain comes home but the reason for staying is embodied in a woman and her son that fill a hole that he did not know was even in his heart.I feel like every time I read a contemporary romance there is a little piece of the story that resonates deep in my heart and makes me feel like the characters portrayed could be people that are friends, loved ones, neighbors or family and this helps me to connect with their story that much more strongly. In this particular book that is very true. The fact that Cain and his friends Mac and Jake were once like brothers, along with Jake's deceased twin Jesse, makes the story even stronger as these characters once again reign supreme as the reunited force they were as boys in the town of Crystal Lake Michigan.Friends but the bond goes deeper than that and when Cain finds himself falling deeper and deeper for Maggie and her son Michael the other two men do everything within their power to make sure she and Michael are part of their group.There is lots of humor sprinkled throughout the drama and intensity in this story, just finding out more about Cain Jake and Mac lends the reader an eagerness to know more as these three men are each in their own way fascinating characters whose charm comes through loud and clear off the written page. While it is true that this is Cain's story the book also holds so much more as it allows us to meet other townspeople like his mother and some of the people who the boys went to school with or worked for.What I really enjoyed was the dynamics between Cain, Maggie and her son Michael.The three made a family unit that filled the need in each their hearts and gave the reader a warm feeling as the characters worked their way towards overcoming a multitude of obstacles in the path of lasting happiness with each other! I love happy endings, rock and roll and small towns where friends are family!This is my first read by author Juliana Stone, it will not be my last![EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]