jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Dark Wolf Rising (Bloodrunners, #4)

Dark Wolf Rising - Rhyannon Byrd BOOK SYNOPSISEric Drake, a powerful Dark Wolf, has never trusted himself around human females—preferring to mate only within his pack. That is, until he encounters Chelsea Smart snooping around Silvercrest pack land in search of her missing sister.Secretly, Chelsea thinks Eric is the sexiest man she's ever seen, though she is wary of his potent Alpha energy. Then it's discovered that Chelsea's sister is being held by a pack of vicious Lycans, and Eric heroically leaps into action. Now, Chelsea will risk everything—her body and soul—to surrender to the passion that will mark her as Eric's woman for all eternity…if they survive.My ThoughtsFirst have to ask myself, "Why did I wait so long to read this wonderful story?" Love werewolf stories and especially the ones like this where the wolves are not only formidable when they shift but also in their human forms as well, also their physical appeal is a plus when you get right down to the truth of the matter.This story is one that because it is fourth in a series has got a lot of world building behind it, the previous characters who are part of the cast of this book are already well established and their interactions with one another show a comfort level that only comes with time. The good thing is that you can go into this book knowing that for the most part it is okay to read it without reading the three prior, for me it was interesting to finally have a chance to see what the series is all about.A "Dark Wolf" means something more than just being an everyday "Lycan", when that facet of Eric's ability finally takes over he not only realizes that he and Chelsea are fated but he also finally becomes able to be at peace with his wolf for the first time in his life as he understands that she is never going to be harmed by him no matter what happens. There is a brutal beauty to this story, believe me when I say that the beginning middle and end are all superbly detailed so that the reader can "step inside" the action and be a part of it in a way that is both easy to read and enjoyable to participate in using our imagination as a way to bridge fiction and reality.Like many other paranormal romances this one introduces us to a complex male and female couple whose past causes them to stumble while they try to get to know one another, it is fun to watch them field all the pitfalls this causes on their way to their HEA. Which by the way is well worth the wait for!This is the kind of book that really appeals to me, we have main and supporting cast of characters that are easy to relate to as well as get into the skins of so to speak, the plot is pretty straightforward and paced nicely to keep you going at a good clip as you read, the romantic angles are well thought out as well as well played out by the male and female couple and over all the fact that this is part of a series gives you continuity with the cast and a storyline that blends from book to book even though at the end of each there is a resolution for one of the major plot points that the author has pinpointed for each particular story. In this case Eric finally coming to terms with his Dark Wolf heritage and also finding his place in the world in which he lives was well set up and well played out to the end.I have longed wish to immerse myself in "The Bloodrunners" series but so far too many other books have come first in my reading order, now I know what I am missing and intend to rectify that by acquiring the rest of the books at some point and reading them in order.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]