jackiebcentraltexas

Housewife Blues and Chihuahua Stories

Autumn - Sierra Dean Book InfoKindle Edition, 263 pagesPublished June 11th 2013 by Sierra Dean (first published January 1st 2013)ISBN 139781939291004edition language Englishseries Dog Days #1Source:Netgalley EARCBook Buy LinksAMAZONB&NBOOK SYNOPSISCooper Reynolds’s life is going to the dogs… literally.As if being a high school senior in a small Texas town wasn’t hard enough, Cooper has bigger things to worry about than who he’ll take to prom and whether or not the Poisonfoot Padres will win homecoming. He has less than a year before his eighteenth birthday, when a curse placed on his family will doom him to live in coyote form forever.The last thing he needs to complicate his already messed-up life is a girl, but fate has other plans in mind for him when it brings Eloise “Lou” Whittaker to Poisonfoot. She’s grouchy, sarcastic and has no love for her new Texas home, but she might be exactly the right person to help Cooper break the curse.The clock is ticking, and Cooper will have to decide if he’s willing to let Lou in on his dirty little secret before it’s too lateMy ThoughtsSmooth slow and even pace that allows plenty of time to get involved in Lou's life, Poisonfoot Texas may be a make believe small town but it is captured to a T in all it's eccentric inhabitants in a way that made me feel right at home more than one would believe unless like myself you grew up in a town even smaller. I thought Lou would be more of a typical teenage handful since she was not very happy on the trip from California to Texas when she and her Mom were traveling but it seemed that as things progressed with daily life for Lou and her mom and grandmother she became a little more resigned to her new life and actually was fairly responsible in her actions. Once we find out that she has had diabetes for the past 6 years her unusually serious demeanor for a 16 year old girl is a little easier to understand.Lou is not the only one with a burden to bear, 17 year old Cooper is the son of the town sheriff but he might as well be a deranged escapee from a prison the way he is regarded by everyone in town. The high school football season and his ability to shine on the field when he scores touchdowns for his team is the only bright spot in Cooper's week, those are the only times when he feels accepted as everyone loves a winner no matter what their last name is!When the two meet in Chemistry class it is Lou's first day at school and the teacher pairs her off with Cooper, not sure of each other the two discover quickly that they have a connection and soon their tentative friendship blossoms into a more personal relationship. These two are fun together, their give and take is so comfortable and so real you forget they are just characters in a story.All is not roses and rainbows however as opposition to their relationship comes from both their Mothers and most strongly from Lou's grandmother as well.Lou and Cooper have no idea what makes their respective family members so opposed to them being together but as they work to find out it seems that the curse that the Reynolds men have been living under is the root cause.The story will break your heart once all the pieces come together as what started the curse came about over 200 years ago, however for the town and inhabitants of Poisonroot that may have very well have been yesterday as it's effect still dictates how their lives turn out.First foray into YA and Dean delivers with one heck of a good story that wished had not ended right when things started getting really intense for Cooper and Lou!When author Sierra Dean released her first book in the Secret McQueen series in 2011 she captured quite a bit of fans right off the bat, myself included. When first heard about her new YA series Dog Days and read the first review from Amy at VBC of Autumn-Dog Days #1 actually had no idea it was available on NetGalley so when read another review on Goodreads around August the 1st decided to try and get a copy of the EARC and read it myself. Glad they approved me, thank you Sierra Dean for posting it on the review site and was such an enjoyable read am really looking forward to the next book later in 2013 because you hooked me totally.[EArc from Netgalley in exchange for honest review]